Saturday, February 12, 2011

memories


Today is February 12, 2011. So hard to believe that it was already a year ago, on February 12, 2010, that Vancouver welcomed the world to the 2010 Olympic Winter Games. How can a year go by so fast? It seems like only yesterday.
That was such an incredible 2 weeks that I will never ever forget. Only a few people have been lucky enough to experience the Olympics in their hometown. I'll never forget how lucky I was.
Sometimes I wonder, did I make the most of that experience? But when I look deep down, I think I did: 2 torch relays, 2 figure skating practices, 1 hockey game, 1 opening ceremony party with friend, 2 days spent just exploring downtown, and many days just watching the action at home with my family and totally losing myself in patriotism and what it means to be Canadian.
Our whole country was changed that day forever. Canada's heart grew ten sizes that day, to quote Dr. Seuss. I really miss those 2 weeks and I miss the way Vancouver was. But even though I know I'll never be able to go back in time, I can create new Olympic memories in the future. And I know that the Olympic flame was never really extinguished in the hearts of Vancouverites. I walk around the city and see remnants of the Olympics everywhere. Those 2 weeks touched our hearts and our dreams and the flame burned in our eyes. It will never go out and we'll never be the same.
So as I go down to celebrate the magic that was those 2 weeks, I know that I have no regrets. Just Olympic and Canada love.

No comments:

Post a Comment